Search This Blog

Monday, April 4, 2011

Sometimes its too much

So yesterday I got my run on. I was charged up for another epic 20 mile run on a rare beautiful spring day in the Northwest. I started prepping about an hour or so prior to with some Gen Ucan. My sugar levels were ideal, and so I gave myself a little bolus and disconnected my animas pump. (total time off pump 4 hr) Leaving out the door with my dexcom CGMS, headphones playing matisyahu, and my polar ft7. Your probably thinking wait a minute vincent were is your garmin?

Me personally, I am starting to realize that I over analyze a lot of what I do and it doesn't always need to be as difficult, which can ultimately distract you from why you run, bike, swim workout... There are many times where knowing exactly were you have been and how fast your going etc... are important, but sometimes this overshadows why you do your thing. Sometimes its better to just simplify. So I set my course and ran quickly reminding myself why I love to run the simple mechanics of the run. The focus of your gate, your breath, the beat, and the next ten feet, something I hadn't done for some time. With my blood sugars within range from the slow drip of my lemonade ucan and my pace keeping in the ideal range, and my heart rate in low zone 3 monitored from my watch other than that "nothing else mattered"

Really grateful for the challenges life has thrown at me over the last few years. Although it hasn't been easy it sure has helped me not to take for granted the things around me

4 comments:

  1. you're gonna kill that ironman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i feel you bro! im planning on a similar style run this weekend. im just gonna enjoy being out there and see where it goes. to me, thats half the fun anyway :) I'll prob still have my garmin, but only for nav purposes...and ill def b rockin the matisyahu. just got his live at stubbs II album- its great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally over analyze my data too. Last week when I rode on the trainer I went rogue like you and just timed myself on the bike. I just rode without thinking about zone or HR etc. very freeing. Dude, I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have ditched most of the gizmos - no ipod (interesting what you hear on the road sometimes), no HRM (I can verify manually), no GPS. Just a watch, CGM and a meter (to make sure the CGM is behaving), and of course my pump - then just up and go. Can figure out how far I went afterwards - but usually pretty close based on time (there is no fast pace/slow pace any more).

    ReplyDelete